1. Many producer/directors think about audio as an afterthought, (remember: good clean audio in = good clean audio out).
2. Now that people shoot on DV tape or digitally, they tend to shoot way too much footage, that bogs down the post production process (especially if you work in television and have strict deadlines).
3. People forget, when shooting any kind of narrative story, you should always have some kind of storyboard, to help communicate your ideas to the cast and crew.
4. When shooting a live event always take extra tape and battery’s, and keep a tape unwrapped and ready to go in an easily accessible pocket.
5. Even when shooting an outside night shot, its generally a good idea to bring extra lighting.